Sony just introduced two new flagship phones: the Sony Xperia 1 III and 5 III.
Both the Sony Xperia 1 III and 5 III are essentially the same devices. The latter is smaller for those who want a compact device without any compromises in specs and features.
The Sony Xperia 1 III comes with a 6.5-inch OLED screen with a whopping 4K resolution and a cinematic 21:9 aspect ratio like its predecessor. On the other hand, the smaller Sony Xperia 5 III has a smaller 6.1-inch OLED screen with the resolution dropped to FHD.
Another key difference is the screen protection used. The former has a more sturdy Corning Gorilla Glass Victus, while the latter has a respectable Gorilla Glass 6. On the upside, both get to have a 120Hz refresh rate and HDR support.
Despite the difference in size, both devices will have the same 4,500mAh battery with 30W fast charging. However, wireless charging and reverse wireless charging are exclusive to the more expensive model.
The duo also has a 12-megapixel telephoto lens with variable zoom. It can switch between 2.9x (70mm equivalent) and 4.4x (105mm equivalent) optical zooms. It then utilizes AI super-resolution zoom technology for a 300mm-equivalent focal length.
As for the main camera, we have a 12-megapixel 1/1.7-inch sensor with a bright f/1.7 aperture and OIS. Next to it is a 12-megapixel 1/2.6-inch ultra-wide. All cameras have a ZEISS lens with T coating, real-time eye autofocus, Optical SteadyShot, 120fps slow-motion, and more.
There’s an 8-megapixel camera for taking selfies. Next to it is a 3D ToF sensor, which is exclusive to the bigger Xperia 1 III, unlocking its real-time eye autofocus tracking.
The rest of the specs are flagship-like. There’s the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888, beating the Xperia Pro and its outdated Snapdragon 865 chip.
Also present are stereo speakers, 240Hz motion blur reduction on select games, improved microphone pick-up for voice chat with background noise remover; plus, a Sony Rewind feature, which will always record the last 30 seconds of gameplay if you want to post highlights.
The Sony Xperia 1 III and 5 III will be available in the coming months with the official prices yet to be revealed.
Sony Xperia 1 III and 5 III Specs
- Android 11
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- Xperia 1 III: 6.5-inch 4K OLED, 3840 x 1644 resolution, 643ppi, Gorilla Glass Victus
- Xperia 5 III: 6.1-inch FHD+ OLED, 2520 x 1080 resolution, 449ppi, Gorilla Glass 6
- 2.84GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 octa-core processor
- 8GB/12GB RAM
- Adreno 660 GPU
- 256GB/512GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 8-megapixel front camera
- 12-megapixel (1/1.7″, f/1.7, dual-pixel PDAF, OIS) + 12-megapixel (ultra-wide, f/2.3, dual-pixel PDAF) + 12-megapixel (telephoto, 70mm f/2.3, 105mm f/2.8, dual-pixel PDAF, OIS) LED flash
- ToF 3D sensor (Xperia 1 III)
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- IP 68 water and dust resistant
- Stereo speakers
- Dynamic vibration system
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.2
- dual-band GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, BDS
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 165 x 71 x 8.2mm (Xperia 1 III) | 157 x 68 x 8.2mm (Xperia 5 III)
- Weight: 186g (Xperia 1 III), 168g (Xperia 5 III)
- Colors: Frosted Black, Frosted Purple (Xperia 1 III) | Black, Green (Xperia 5 III)
- 4,500mAh non-removable battery, 30W fast charging
- Wireless charging, Reverse wireless charging (Xperia 1 III)