Rugged gadgets may be for a niche market, but the fact that Samsung just released the Galaxy Tab Active 3 proves that there’s a substantial enough market for it.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 is an 8-inch tablet that can survive being dropped from 5 feet high. It also comes with an equally rugged S Pen with IP68 certification.
Unlike regular tablets, the Galaxy Tab Active 3 has physical buttons below the screen, with the middle one doubling as a fingerprint scanner. The bezels themselves are also noticeably large to protect the actual screen panel from drops.
As for the rest of the specs, this one is powered by an Exynos 9810 — the same flagship CPU that powered the Galaxy Note 9. It has a 5,050mAh battery, which is removable, so you can swap a fresh one once it runs out of juice. Another notable feature is the docking pins, so you can plug it in quickly.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 has a starting price of USD489 (around Php23,500) and is primarily marketed to enterprise clients.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 Specs
- Android 10, Samsung One UI 2.5
- nano SIM (select models)
- 8.0-inch FHD+ PLS IPS display, 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution, 283ppi
- 2.7GHz Exynos 9810 octa-core processor
- 4GB RAM
- Mali-G72 MP18 GPU
- 64GB/128GB internal storage, non-expandable
- 5-megapixel front camera
- 13-megapixel rear camera, f/1.9, autofocus, LED flash
- Front-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Stereo speakers
- S-Pen included
- IP68 water and dust resistant
- MIL-STD-810H compliant
- Wireless DeX
- 4G LTE (select models)
- WiFi 6
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GPS, A-GPS, BDS, GALILEO, GLONASS
- USB Type-C, Magnetic connector
- Dimensions: 213.8 x 126.8 x 9.9mm
- Weight: 426g (WiFi model), 429g (LTE model)
- Color: Black
- 5,050mah removable battery, 15W charging