Xiaomi sub-brand Redmi has finally introduced its first gaming smartphone, the Redmi K40 Gaming Edition.
The Redmi K40 Gaming Edition (roughly translated from Chinese) has the looks and features of a proper gaming phone. It has a unique for-gamers design that we’ve never seen before. You can spot the unique accents on the back, a distinct camera glass, and a cool LED flash in a lightning design.
It’s available in White, Grey, Black, and a Cyberpunk-like Yellow that’s actually called the Bruce Lee special edition.
Like the ROG Phone 5, Legion Phone 2, and other gaming phones, the new Redmi K40 has physical shoulder buttons for extra controls.
Powering this device is a MediaTek Dimensity 1200 processor, which is cooled by a vapor chamber, graphite, and graphene materials.
The rest of the specs are your typical blown-out hardware for a gaming phone. There’s a large 6.67-inch screen with a vibrant AMOLED panel, fast 120Hz refresh rate, and 480Hz touch response. The screen also has extras like HDR10+, DCI-P3, and 10-bit color.
Redmi also spiced up the audio department. The Redmi K40 Gaming Edition has stereo speakers tuned by JBL. Hi-Res Audio and Dolby Atmos support are also present.
It has a 5,065mAh battery. Not the biggest, but it should be enough to last for hours of gaming. It then charges via a USB Type-C 67W charger. A full charge will only take 42 minutes.
The Redmi K40 Gaming Edition has a starting price of CNY1,999 (around Php14,900) for the 6GB/128GB, CNY2,199 (around Php16,400) for the 8GB/128GB, CNY2,399 (around Php17,900) for the 8GB/256GB and 12GB/128GB, and CNY2,699 (around Php20,100) for the 12GB/256GB. The Bruce Lee special edition is only available for the top-tier variant. All models will be available in China this April 30.
Redmi K40 Gaming Edition Specs
- Android 11, MIUI 12.5
- Dual SIM, Dual standby
- 6.67-inch FHD+ OLED display, 2400 x 1080 pixel resolution, 395ppi
- 120Hz refresh rate, 480Hz touch sampling, HDR10+, DCI-P3
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 3.0GHz MediaTek Dimensity 1200 5G octa-core processor
- Water cooling
- 6GB/8GB/12GB RAM
- Mali-G77 MC9 GPU
- 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 internal storage, non-expandable
- 16-megapixel front camera
- 64-megapixel (f/1.7, PDAF) + 8-megapixel ultra-wide + 2-megapixel (macro, f/2.4) rear cameras, LED flash
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- JBL-tuned stereo speakers
- Hi-Res Audio, Dolby Atmos
- No headphone jack
- Physical trigger buttons
- HSPA+, 4G LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, dual-band
- Bluetooth 5.0
- dual-band GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS, NavIC, BDS
- IR blaster
- USB Type-C
- Dimensions: 161.9 x 76.9 x 8.3mm
- Weight: 205g
- Colors: Bruce Lee Yellow, Silver, Gray, Black
- 5,065mAh non-removable battery, 67W fast charging